Monday, June 29, 2009

TasteCasting :: Lovely Confections

Yesterday we were treated to a TasteCasting at Lovely Confections off of Colfax and Steele Street in Denver. This sweet little shop specializes in cupcakes by owner and baker Porsche Lovely. Most of the ingredients used are organic and local and you can tell. Everything is very, very fresh tasting, no hint of artificial anything here.

***TasteCasting Special***
Buy One, Get One Free - any chocolate or vanilla cupcake through July 20th

The case was full of tempting treats - carrot cake, strawberries and cream and berry limeade looked especially yummy!

Love has won a number of local awards including Westword Best of Denver 08 "Best Conscientious Cupcakes", ABC 7's A*List Award for the Best Bakery, Westword Best of Denver 09 "Reader's Choice - Best Bakery"

Our tasting was made up of four mini cupcakes ($1.5 each) and a frosting shot. At first, I was a little disappointed that we didn't have any of the regular size cupcakes ($3 each) but these cupcakes we so sweet, rich and full of flavor that the mini ones were more then enough.

Vanilla Cupcake (buttery cake with vanilla bean buttercream frosting)
Leigh:: I think the vanilla bean cake was my favorite. I love the strong hint of vanilla in the cake - not just a "white" cake with little to no real flavor.
Mike:: I really liked this one too. The vanilla flavor was excellent. It had no hints of being artificial.

Chocolate Cupcake (a fudgy decadent treat rolled in imported French chocolate sprinkles)
Leigh:: This cupcake was SO rich! It was a chocoholics dream! The cake had a light chocolate flavor coupled with rich, dark chocolate frosting. I really enjoyed the square sprinkles on this one too.
Mike:: This one was definitely not to be consumed in large quantities...unless you wanted to go on chocolate overload. It was very tasty and seemed to be one of the favorites of the day amongst many of the tasters.

Lemon Cupcake (fresh grated organic lemon zest and organic lemon bits folded in)
Leigh:: This one disappointed me a little bit. It was good but a very sweet lemon flavor. I would have liked a little more tartness, that good lemon zing was missing.
Mike:: This one needed to have a little more tartness to even out the very sweet frosting. I thought it tasted really good, but would have liked to have the sour even out the sweet a bit more.

Red Velvet Cupcake (red velvet with cream cheese frosting)
Leigh:: the cream cheese icing was very, very sweet. I think my mom would have loved it! The red velvet cake was good, but I didn't taste much of the red velvet cocoa taste.
Mike:: This one was pretty good too. The icing was a little overpowering in the sweet department for me...but to each their own.

Strawberry Frosting Shot ($1)
Leigh:: This was really interesting - they sell frosting shots which isn't necessarily my thing but the strawberry frosting was really quite good. It reminded me of fresh, homemade strawberry ice cream (my personal favorite ice cream). It was definitely made with real strawberries - I can only imagine how good it would taste as part of the Strawberries & Cream cupcake.
Mike:: WOW!!! For those of you who find yourself trying to find the plate that has minimal cake and a huge chunk of frosting, this is the treat for you. Bypass the cake and get a straight up frosting shot. The strawberry was very tasty, and like Leigh said it would probably pretty much be amazing on a cupcake.

Overall Thoughts
Leigh:: I really enjoyed each of the cakes. The flavors were great and the cake had a good "crust on the outside with soft, moist inside. The frosting was a little too sweet and rich for my taste (but this is a girl who doesn't like cotton candy or anything super sweet). I love the cupcake wrappers they use. The have a little ledge around the top that makes unwrapping the cupcake much easier. And I love all the sprinkles they use!
Mike:: I think that the cupcakes were very tasty. Pretty sweet for me, but some people think the sweeter the better, and if so, this is the place for you. Everything was very natural tasting and had great clean flavors. I could have eaten the cakes alone all day long, especially the vanilla cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment